Sunday, January 24, 2016

COACH DENNIS BLACK SAYS....


When Dennis Black retired in October 2014, he knew he would miss the students, walking the hallways and just being part of a community of teachers he got to know over the past 37 years.  What the longtime East Limestone principal didn't know was how much he would miss another aspect. “I got out of coaching before I was ready. That's what I wanted to do when I first got into school,” said Black. “As luck would have it, Elkmont had an opening. 

After watching from the sidelines for the last 26 years, Black will return to the Limestone County Tournament as a coach this week as Elkmont's head varsity boys coach.

“I love the competing part,” said Black. “I still had that opportunity to satisfy that need to compete when I was coaching my son and daughter's teams. The challenge of competition isn't always going against someone else. Now, I'm back in coaching for the enjoyment of watching young men getting better. It's (current season) been a transitional time for our players. These young men have gone through four different coaches and four different offenses. That's not easy.”

“For our guys, I want us to compete,” said Black. “For them to have an opportunity to show that we have gotten better. When you are playing in front of your peers, you want them to go out and show that their hard work is not in vain. People can notice that they are doing the right things, even if we aren't winning every game.”

Elkmont and West Limestone tip off from Clements at 7:45 p.m., Tuesday in the first round of the Limestone County Tournament.

ATHENS NEWS COURIER ARTICLE LINK:
Black back in county tournament, but in different role









No comments:

Post a Comment